The fifth and final batch of the IVI Young Leaders Program (YLP 2017-18) was launched in Chennai on 17 June 2017 with a two-day workshop for a group of 11 young leaders from Optometry institutions across India.
The occasion was also time to bid farewell to the fourth batch of YLP. It was an opportunity for the participants to network with professionals from 10 states.
India Vision Institute CEO Vinod Daniel stressed the need for management and leadership among Optometry professionals. “There is an imperative requirement to build a strong team of young professionals who will steer Optometry in India to a bright future, especially at a time when the profession is at its thriving best,” Mr Daniel noted.
Participation in the program affords the Young Leaders an opportunity to build networks, observe the process of profession recognition, and voice their viewpoints with peers. They also gain a deeper understanding of conflicts and issues in their respective workplaces, learn how experts and leaders deal with these problems, and develop their own perspectives.
Since its launch in 2013, 50 Optometry professionals from 30 Institutions have been a part of this program and participated in group and individual projects. With the completion of the fifth batch, 43 professionals from 17 states will have been trained. The 2017 group comprises the following young leaders:
1. Anirban Dey – Faculty, NSHM Knowledge Campus, Kolkata
2. Gaurav Dubey – Faculty, UP UMS, Saifai
3. Harish Kumar – Senior Program Manager, Operation Eyesight Universal, Hyderabad
4. Kitchwa Dkhar – Optometrist, Bansara Institute of Ophthalmic Sciences, Shillong
5. Mosaib Omaer – Assistant Professor / In charge, C L Gupta Eye Institute, Moradabad
6. Paras Desai – Assistant Professor, Harijyot College of Optometry, Navsari
7. Pawan Kumar – OT Grade I, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi
8. Rahul Roy – Lecturer, Nethradhama School of Optometry, Bangalore
9. Salai Dhavamathi – Assistant Professor, Amity Medical School, Manesar
10. Shaik Faheemuddin – Key Accounts Manger, GKB Rx Lens Pvt Ltd, Hyderabad
11. Unnati Vaish – Assistant Professor, Teerthanker Mahaveer University, Moradabad
India Vision Institute (IVI) is an independent, not-for-profit registered trust established in 2012, an initiative of the L V Prasad Eye Institute of Hyderabad and the Brien Holden Vision Institute, Sydney. It is focused on supporting and promoting eye health awareness, research, education and technological development in Indian Optometry to advance capacity in vision correction, and prevention of eye disease and blindness. (www.indiavisioninstitute.org)
Image 1: YLP group with the Heir Apparent and Dewan to the Prince of Arcot Nawabzada Mohammed Asif Ali at Amir Mahal
Image 2: The YLP participants of the fourth batch received their certificates from Mr Vinod Daniel